Uferstudios are located right on the banks of Panke, a rivulet that once encircled the premises 300 years ago. The foundation of the Große Berliner Pferdeeisenbahn (Great Berlin Horse Railway) in 1873 marked the beginning of the construction as transport company depot. When the electrical trolley operation replaced the horse railway between 1896 and 1902, the Uferstudios premises were also reconstructed from horse to electrical trolley depot. Buildings north of Uferstraße were added.Between 1926 and 1931, those characteristic brick buildings after plans by architect Jean Krämer were erected, marrying the straight forms of the Neue Sachlichkeit (New Objectivity) with expressive motives.
After WW II, the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (Berlin Transport Organisation, BVG) used the workshops on both sides of Uferstraße for reparing their busses, selling them again to Uferhallen Immobilien AG in 2007. In 2008 then, Uferstudios GmbH rented the buildings on the former island on the Panke for 25 years. After two years of intermediate artistic use, the site is renovated according to drafts of Anderhalt Architekten in 2010, financed by the Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin, and realized by Jahn Architekten.
Following impulses from the independent dance scene and the TanzRaumBerlin network, Uferstudios GmbH became a new location for contemporary dance through the conversion of the former workshops of the BVB Berlin transport company. In 2008, Uferstudios GmbH signed a 25-year lease of the buildings on the former Pankeinsel. After two years of artistic interim use, the reconstruction was followed in 2010 featuring designs by Anderhalten Architekten, financed by the Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin and implemented by Jahn Architekten.
In 2012, Uferstudios GmbH acquired the property at Uferstrasse 23 with a hereditary leasehold of 196 years.